(TV) Barney Kessel RIP

Well, right after my false alarm with Elvin, it seems that we really have lost Barney Kessel, after a long illness.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20040508-9999-1c8barney.html

The article does note that he played on a lot of Beach Boys and other LA pop sessions, in addition to his jazz work. While Kessel hadn't played out in a number of years, news like this makes me want to appreciate those people we still have with us, performing. Like Les Paul, for example, who's still holding down Monday nights at Iridium. (He's sticking to easy melody lines and there's a lot of between-song bantering so he can rest his hands, but he's obviously having a blast, and his tone is intact.)
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/