Re: (TV) Matter of Taste / Wrong / Can't Dance / Non-Musician-Angle

At 8:53 AM -0700 5/21/04, robin dunn wrote:
--- Emilie Hsu <ehsu@mindspring.com> wrote:
 Time to take my guitars out of the closet.

i feel at a disadvantage because of my age (fairly
middle) and gender (not a boy -- and it's true, boys
do rule on guitar).  but it is fun, and i hope to keep
going forward with it.

I would encourage everyone to do this. While I don't agree with William Gaddis that music started going to hell with the player piano (and thus the decline of people making music themselves if they wanted to hear it), only good can come of more people from all demographics making music, instead of this split between producers and consumers.

I wasn't a particularly promising musician, either, starting with very little pitch sense, no rhythm, no discipline, and few physical skills. After years of home recording without finishing much and without anybody else hearing it, I started performing in public. I had no repertoire and a limited skill set (what skills there are, are thanks to Richard's lessons), but I had a few ideas about improvisation. Now, a scant three years later, I'm in my late 30s, a footnote's footnote's footnote with nine releases, several shows, one tour, and an active listenership in the low double digits. I would recommend this to anybody.

As for the disproportionate representation of males on guitar, yeah, we're here in greater numbers, for reasons that strike me as more cultural than innate. Personally, I'd like to see more of everybody playing whatever instruments they want. Let a thousand garage bands bloom.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/