Re: (TV) Matter of Taste / Wrong / Can't Dance / Non-Musician-Angle

--- Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:
> I would encourage everyone to do this. While I don't
> agree with
> William Gaddis that music started going to hell with
> the player piano
> (and thus the decline of people making music
> themselves if they
> wanted to hear it), only good can come of more
> people from all
> demographics making music, instead of this split
> between producers
> and consumers.

i'm still working on that dylan bio, and just finished
a passage about how folk music in the early 60s was
about just that.  you could have substituted "punk"
for "folk" in the text and it would have made sense.
the idea that making music (or making art) is not
beyond anyone, it is within anyone's reach.  as patti
smith said, "anyone can do what i'm doing.  anyone can
get up there and sing."

it's weird, what inspired me this time (not my first
attempt) came about through my rather bland
middle-class career.  i'm a nurse, and we recently
took on a black woman in her 50s, very sad,
schizophrenia, aids, hep b, hep c,
malnutrition...bleeding herpes ulcers in her mouth
that kept her from eating.  really a wreck.  but for
whatever weird reason i fell in love with her, and it
turns out she is a total music freak, and a musician.
supposedly really rocks on guitar (we need to get her
one, and an amp).  and btw she is doing quite a bit
better now, just two weeks later.  i don't normally
burn copies of commercial releases, but i burned her a
bunch.  she loves john coltrane.