RE: (TV) Scotsman review / Indulge / The Jethro Tull of Hardcore

Leo:
>Does anyone on this List think MM (the song) is self-indulgent?
>Her choice of words recalls that old silliness about how
>'Television were the Grateful Dead' of Punk'.

Well, I doubt that anyone here would think that.  And I think a lot of people who tend to like "shorter songs" give MM a passing grade as a song because it's suitably primal and visceral.  Or something.  Some folks do seem to equate "long" with "self-indulgent", but sometimes a song just can't be any other way.  Is "Visions of Johanna" self-indulgent?  I don't think so; like with MM, everything that happens in that song has a purpose.  Unlike, say, Neil Young's "T-Bone" or the third LP of "All Things Must Pass", for example.

Y'know, there's a band called "The Eagles of Death Metal", and the more I think about it the more certain I am that their name is an in-joke about the whole "Grateful Dead of Punk" label that dogs Television to this day...

-Rex