(TV) Don Henley Won't Die / Zevon/ Michael Carlucci's "Winter Kils"

Hi,

I was buying some blank jewel boxes this morning and saw a used promo cd of
"Winter Hours" (produced by Lenny Kaye).  Snatched it up for $1.

Also, as if we didn't need more evidence of Henley's soulessness, I stumbled
across this---it's actually pretty funny.

	Leo

"HOLLYWOOD ROCK AND ACTIVISM"

Boston Globe 09/01/2004 by JIM SULLIVAN

Don Henley did this weird thing back at an Orpheum show in 1990. It was his
pal, Warren Zevon's show, but Henley - very popular at the time - inched his
way onto the bill, presumably goosing ticket sales. But he also did
something else: He turned the for-profit concert by Zevon into a charity for
Henley's pet cause, Walden Woods. Zevon felt he had no choice in the matter.
He expressed that exasperation to yours truly a week ahead of the gig, and
it was duly noted in print. When the paper came out, Henley went ballistic
and so did Zevon, who then claimed whatever he'd said to us had been off the
record. Really, it wasn't. But it created quite a rift. Henley dissed us
from the stage and Zevon turned his back, feeling a confidence had been
betrayed. In time, the strife melted away. The last time we met Zevon, who
died last year, big and sincere hugs were exchanged. We'd always liked
Henley as a harmony singer, but on his own he sounds thin and moaning -
"like a wounded beagle," as Mojo Nixon sang in the classic song "Don Henley
Must Die." After hearing the tune, Henley assured Nixon that he would indeed
die, just not on Nixon's terms. Good comeback. But Henley is the most
mawkish of singers, his soft-rock dressed up in dramatic overtones, but
meaning, really, not a lot. He's a serious tortured artist who makes
"mature," midtempo music in the Sting realm, and if that's what turns you
on, by all means plunk down $41-$76 tonight to see the man and his band at
the FleetBoston Pavilion. It starts at 7:30. Bring handkerchiefs.