Re: (TV) rushdie - the first cut is the deepest (OT)

"...I have a hard time rushing to Yusuf Islam's defense because I
never forgave him for advocating the execution of Salman Rushdie in
1989. He endorsed Khomeini's "fatwa" or death edict against Rushdie
for the novel, Satanic Verses.

I thought it was funny that Rushdie went to the bother of ensuring that his writing didnt cross any of the English christian blasphemy laws - I think he refers to "the muslim god" in it ? - he must have felt pretty smug with himself when it was cleared by the lawyers and printed

only to feel pretty stupid and scared after the fatwa was announced

Rushdie intentionally wrote to offend, he's a publicity whore - this wasnt a case of censorship of self expression, he had already censored it himself to be within English law at the time

admittedly he doesnt deserve to die for that, but I dont think he deserves much sympathy either