Re: (TV) rushdie - the first cut is the deepest (OT)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:56:21 +0100
Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
How do
Americans feel about Bush's statement that anyone who isn't a Christian
can't consider themselves an American? What crap.

Hmmm, for some reason, this hasn't been widely reported here.  Got any
sources for this?

That was 41 who said it:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_H._W._Bush

Although the way that W. acts, it sure seems like something he would believe.

As for Rushdie--I'm afraid I don't follow the line of reasoning that says because somebody is blowhard or publicity whore that they don't deserve much sympathy when a fundamentalist sect marks them for death. Talk about blaming the victim. Would it have been better if he had accidentally offended the crazies? Or, if his art was somehow pure from commercial aspiration?

martin@rosacordis.com