(TV) RE: Mamma Mia/Lerner & Lowe/Beach Boys/Tommy/Muriel

>But is it still ok to bash musicals?

I'm a little schizoid when it comes to music---I can appreciate Television and,
say, PIL , e.g., but I like  old (1950's) musicals that have clever lyrics.
Lyricists/composers such as Lerner and Lowe or Rodgers and Hammerstein were geniuses.
See for instance "I'm An Ordinary Man" (aka "Why Can't A Woman Be More Like A Man?")
from MFL, or "Soliloquy" (aka "My Boy Bill") from Carousel.

When I was 12-13 I used to play these over and over on my parents' cheap hi fi (80% of which
consisted of was fake-wood); had to tape 2 pennies to the top of the tone arm as the records
were worn out.

Not long afterwards, I went right from show-tunes to the Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones.
First rock concert I ever attended was the Beach Boys at Boston's Music Hall (now Wang
Center) then eventually graduated to seeing The Who at the same venue.

By the way, IMHO the rock-opera "Tommy" is one of the most over-rated , over-blown pieces
of music ever; I'll take the Who's "Quadraphenia", or Townsend's never completed
theater/music project called "Lighthouse[??]".

There's actually a very good (and hilarious) Australian movie called "Muriel's Wedding"
about a young woman, who among other things is obsessed with ABBA and marriage.

	Leo