Re: (TV) coming out of the closet

In message <015a01c4d25c$69784390$768490d4@joeslaptop>, Joe Thornton
<joe.thornton@gmx.net> writes
>Jazus, Keith! You could outdo us Irish for begrudgery.

Well, Joe, this may be true...

>I suppose people like Eno,
> Lanois,
>BB King, Johnny Cash, etc, went way down in your estimation when they
>worked with or sang songs of U2.
Nope,
 Eno was the star of those records, they just gave him enough money to
play.
Lanois didn't have very far down to go (though full credit for his
revitalising Dylan's recorded output).
It was embarrassing to see BB _supporting_ those clowns. But he's
(rightly) so far beyond caring what anybody thinks that he even made a
record with Clapton.
Haven't heard Cash's cover.

> And even Captain Beefheart was wheedled out of his hole (closet?) a few
>years ago to do a telephone interview with Bono.

And embarrassing it was too. I doubt if the Captain even knew (or cared)
who this jerk was.

>Since you hate Bono for his "pious posturing, crappy lyrics and
>humourless antics", you must love the contrasting figure of Tom Verlaine.
>But hang on, you can't stand him either, can you, you old curmudgeon?

This is true - I'm well known around here for not being able to stomach
Verlaine at any price.

>And, pray tell, what good causes has Bono given "a bad name" to?

You got me there. I guess they all survived his involvement.

>Had U2 not achieved global superstardom before Live Aid?

The world's biggest pub-rock band? Everyone knew who they were, but
nobody cared much, did they?. One of the worst things I've ever seen was
Bonio dragging that poor girl out of the crowd to bestow upon her the
gift of being manhandled round the stage so that he could show the
watching world what a humble chap he was. Bah! I seem to remember she
looked as if she wanted to be somewhere (anywhere) else. Not that he
cared.

>Anyway, an interesting discussion...

Indeed - sorry to bring it down to mud-slinging level!