(TV) Costello/Young/R. Thompson

With apologies to Costello fans:
TV:
"We're probably still too spontaneous for America. Most bands in America
have no spontaneity.
Everything's all worked out right. They all go through these producers that
have cost a pile of money
and they do a record that sounds just like their last one. Look at
Aerosmith's last three records. I can't
listen to that.
"I think the British have some sympathy for individual style. I think
Television has that. In America
people tend to attach themselves to something immediately familiar. Which is
why Elvis Costello
is a success over there.

"He reminds a lot of people of a lot of '60s acts. His latest single is note
for note a Music Machine
rip off.  Remember Music Machine? They had a hit single in '66 called "Talk
Talk" which is a great song.
It's three minutes and fifty seconds of this very scrambled rhythm. "I Don't
Want To Go To Chelsea"
is at least one third note for note ripped off from this little '60s punky
group. "I'm not crazy about Elvis
Costello. I feel like I've been hearing Elvis Costello since I was 18.
Younger than that. I like Nick Lowe
'cos at least he likes experimenting with guitar sounds a lot. "Obviously
that guy has heard
every record in the world."

"Everybody says I sound like Neil Young. I don't know. The first Neil Young
record I listened to was
"Zuma". That song "Cortez" is a great song. I like the lyrics 'cos they
capture something that's
historically true. And subconsciously present. He's one of the few guitar
players I like. I like Link Wray's
early guitar playing. I like Buchanan's work in the '50s on those Chess
singles.
I like Richard Thompson's tone. I don't like his playing. I like that
sparkly Fender sound.
The Byrds got that same kind of sound. That whole kinda shiney sound."