Re: (TV) Concert "Intro" = a Didjeridu

On 2/4/05 8:29 AM, "Rex Broome" <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why are hippies held in such disdain by this group? I mean Television
>>> has more in common with the psychedelic jambands than they do with any
>>> Punk or New Wave band.
>

> TV may have more in common with some of the real original "hippie"
> bands (Airplane, Elevators etc.) but very little with the modern
> definition of a "jamband" (Phish etc.)... but maybe that's just me.
>
> -Rex

I agree with that. I believe the difference between old and new school
jambands are that for the former, the song came first and was a portal for
musical improvisation. There was a passion for the art of song writing.
Being a huge Deadhead, I have tried very hard in the past to "get" Phish,
thinking I would find a new source of tunes. Unfortunately, because one must
get through the endless noodling and banal lyrics to get to the good parts,
it's ultimately unlistenable. Plus it never ROCKS.

Mike