Re: (TV) Wikipedia article / Old Waldorf disc

--- Joe Thornton <joe.thornton@gmx.net> wrote:
> Phil, about your point that "only one is of non-bootleg quality": I
> presume
> you mean that on the Academy disc the noise of the crowd is so
> intrusive. It
> really is remarkable how badly behaved they were (maybe just a few
> individuals), chatting loudly throughout.

The bigger problem is that, as far as I can tell, it's an audience
recording! I mean, sheesh, couldn't someone have put a cassette tape
in the board at one of the 92/93 shows? It's one thing to have only
bootleg-quality tapes of Television back in the 70s. On their
much-heralded reunion tour, you'd think someone would have bothered
to semi-professionally tape a show (by "semi-professionally", I mean,
"plug your $10 Realistic tape recorder into the board").

> Yes, that's the problem I have with the Waldorf record -- Richard's
> guitar sounds bad for much of the show. Otherwise it's great.

One of the interesting things about that Waldorf show, being taken
from a live radio performance and recorded to 2-track tape (meaning
subsequent remixing was impossible - or else we wouldn't still have
the stoned DJ, a hallmark of '78 Old Waldorf shows, still audible at
the end), is that you can follow the mixer's line of thinking
throughout the broadcast. As many have noted here before, it's a very
bass-heavy mix, giving Fred his proper attention. What's also
interesting is how the mixer initially doesn't know what to do with
Richard in the mix; he's mixed quite low in the first few tracks, but
by "Ain't That Nothin'" his volume is cranked up considerably, and
remains quite high for the rest of the show (especially during that
monstrous, end-all-be-all "Little Johnny Jewel"). I wonder if the
mixer was thrown off by the free transitions of lead and rhythm
between Tom and Richard.

Also, in the middle of "Marquee Moon", the mixer briefly moves
Richard's guitar from one channel to the other and then back again
(from R to L and back to R or vice versa; I can't recall offhand).

--Phil