Tom On: Bass / RE: (TV) tom and elvis sighting, even

>Tom also played bass on 'Because the Night' and keyboards on
>'One Night With You', ....

Tom played bass on some of the songs on Dreamtime and Cover
(and maybe some bass on The Wonder).

Some quotes:

Fred Smith: "In some bands a bassist can relax back in the pocket
with the drums but Tom likes the bass to be melodic, so I have to
fit notes into some unusual places."

TV: "'Souvenir From A Dream', me and Fred worked up. I used to play
bass and Fred would play drums up at the old Television loft. The music
for 'Souvenir From A Dream' is real old, something we fooled around
with a couple of years ago, that I worked up again."

".... The song '1880 Or So'..it's not even really rock 'n' roll except it's
got this eight-note bass and this beat almost like a Rolling Stones song."

"Some songs are written in 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll build a whole
song around a bass line. Often the melody is just two sentences and
that becomes the germ of a song."

"I've done a bit of that on this record [Cover] just because it sort of
happened that way: I happened to be in a place that had a bass guitar so
I played bass on it, y'know? But I'd much rather work live with musicians."

"Then maybe we'll try harmony notes on bass, or Fred will throw in a bass
run that the guitar will end up doubling somewhere along the line. In
the meantime words or vocal melodies are floating over the top of this
stuff," he laughs. "So you might have a song that's really raunchy end up
turning more sweet."