(TV) OT: Reasons for NOT liking TV

I participate in another music discussion group too, where the subject is a r'n'b singer. All of a sudden someone mentioned "Marquee Moon", which is quite alien music to most of the group members, and this in turn inspired me to do some TV propaganda in there. The outcome of the debate that followed was rather intriguing, I think - and I can't avoid sharing with you this other member's view on why it's allright to shy away from "avantgarde" music, such as TV's:

"i think that the ethic of being open to something more than the three or four minute song is late Fifties musical snobbery at its most unfortunate. The point of rock and roll at its finest is that some of its three minute songs are in fact as 'artistic' as the longest piece of twaddle. In fact the more seemingly 'unsophisticated' the song, the more likely it is to be rock and roll at its finest. Take almost any early Phil Spector single as an example. Or something by Sam Cooke. A predeliction for longer 'more substantial' songs by a listener may be sincere musical appreciation by that individual. It could also just be insecurity about liking rock and roll."

Interesting theory, don't you think...

/Leif J, Sweden