Re: (TV) OT: Reasons for NOT liking TV

----- Original Message ----- From: "leif joley" <leifjoley@hotmail.com>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 4:35 PM
Subject: (TV) OT: Reasons for NOT liking TV

"i think that the ethic of being open to something more than the three or four minute song is late Fifties musical snobbery at its most unfortunate. The point of rock and roll at its finest is that some of its three minute songs are in fact as 'artistic' as the longest piece of twaddle. In fact the more seemingly 'unsophisticated' the song, the more likely it is to be rock and roll at its finest. Take almost any early Phil Spector single as an example. Or something by Sam Cooke. A predeliction for longer 'more substantial' songs by a listener may be sincere musical appreciation by that individual. It could also just be insecurity about liking rock and roll."

Interesting theory, don't you think...

I wouldn't apply it to Television, but it's similiar to a theory I have about a lot of Beatles fans who rave about Revolver and after but dismiss the early material. I suspect that in many cases, either they're embarassed about liking rock and roll, or they really don't like it but think they should, so they gravitate towards the music they can find that's still pop-rock but has enough outside elements to make the rock palatable. --------------