(TV) Impressions of Warm and Cool reissue

It's nicely packaged, with decent liner notes. (I wonder why all the
microphones are listed but not the guitars.) The interview is a mixture of
straightforward and kooky.

The new music? Eight bonus tracks. Well, as Tom says in the interview, they're
"some little bits from here and there and this year and other years... pieces
that could have been much longer, but for me had a charm being brief."

Yes, some of the pieces are charming -- especially "asmileyfallsapart" and the
last four tracks. Overall, it's... disappointing. Mainly because you can't
help hoping that Tom will come out with another major musical statement.
There's no such thing here, and it wasn't Tom's intention. The new tracks are
warm and cool, certainly not hot. You might note that some of the old tracks,
such as "Ore" and "Lore", were indeed hot. But Tom was younger then.

Fred's contribution is pretty unobtrusive.

God, I'm reminded of phrases used about Beckett's writing -- everything pared
down to the essentials... using the utmost economy of means... But I think
minimalism doesn't really suit Tom Verlaine.

Listening to track 18, avanti, I'm reminded of the guitar solo in "Stalingrad"
and the sinking feeling I had when I first heard it.

Happier thought: he's still writing songs and should be recording them soon.

--JoeT
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.