Re: (TV) OT: Random thoughts

"Shakey" is great. Me and my bassisst, major Neil-heads, still debate it
endlessly. Chief point of contention: McDonough and my bassist think "Will
To Love" is a masterpiece and I think it's ass. Dunno why. Both me and the
bassist love weird Neil stuff like the long songs on "Hawks & Doves",
"Trans", "Landing On Water" and "Time Fades Away", etc., so it's not about
that. Me and my bass player are probably the two people in the world who
between us know every Neil Song by heart and have never been pot-heads.

And then:

> One of the quotes in Shakey was from
> Meltzer who stated there has not been any true rock music produced since
> before 1998 ( just paraphrasing him) . I mean , there are bands playing
> music in the "style of" of rock and roll, yes, but *it no longer is
> dangerous* - it is no long something your parents will scream at you to
> turn down ... that generation is dead or dying. Classic rock even
> classic punk rock is ubiquitous - on our televisions and radios, it's
> impossible to escape from it. It's been emasculated by Madison Avenue.
> Whats an artist to do ? You can't go roots - its been done to death, you
> can go "arty" or avant-garde for the same reason. How can an artist be
> truly original in this age ? What is true and sincere in rock music
> today ? Just some rhetorical pondering. Got me to search out for my
> Nuggets CD.

 I useta say it died in 1995. I dunno. Now that "good" "rock" is kinda back,
it seems more than ever just a matter of what you like; no rock music can
ever be universally thought "important" any more. The audience is too
fragmented. In their own ways, I guess. Coldplay and Korn are huge, but
probably don't have many fans in common, and a lot of Big Rock Fans/Nerds
like me don't much care for either. I like hearing stuff like FF and Bloc
Party, but I'm sure a lot of rockers find it fey and boring and slight. And
even to me, it's not nearly as great as its antecedents (TV, Go4, etc.).
 Oh, and Will Sargent, while I love his playing, is nowhere near the
guitarist that Tom and Richard are, although the Verlaine influence is clear
as a Jazzmaster in his tone.
 -Rex

 - Russ