Re: (TV) RE: Accidentially Hit the Send Button / Who Plays What When / To m's vs Richard's Tone

As a guitarplayer I don't think it's more difficult for me to hear the difference between RL and TV, than it is for a MM-list member to directly understand who has written the mail I'm replying to and my own one in lousy English. You have to excuse me Leo, but everything you're writing is just speculations. Therefore I will not argue against you, despite I'm sure you're wrong in most of the cases. Give us some PROOF!!!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 9:20 PM
Subject: (TV) RE: Accidentially Hit the Send Button / Who Plays What When / To m's vs Richard's Tone

I accidentially somehow hit the SEND button before
I finished typing my previous post (and before I
trimmed it).

so, here's what should have been included:

.....bLAH blah blah ..I think my memory's still
good--(maybe too good) and I swear I've seen
in-person parts/solos switched between them.

Another related fact:  Didn't't Amilcar Amarante
point out recently that you can see on the Brazil
video Tom('s fingers) playing a part/solo that
Richard usually does?

Ms Secret X told me quite awhile ago, that sometimes
Tom gave  almost all of the soloing to Richard (with
a couple of exceptions such as Prove It or the 2nd
one in MM)--as several on List have noted in the past
this mostly happens on nights when Tom just "isn't
into it". Also--she wrote to the List once saying Tom
is not adverse (one might even say he's 'magnanimous),
or isn't insecure about giving others (e.g., Richard )
most of the spot-light.

I really believe that *sometimes, say, 10-15%*, maybe
to keep things from getting boring or stale [plus other
reasons], before the band goes on stage that night,
sometime earlier --hours[?] or minutes[?] or
days[?]--Tom might say to Richard to take/play my part
on "Z" tonight and I'll do the solo on "Y" tonight.

I think it's pretty obvious Tom can (technically or
otherwise) play any of the solos on the songs in their
live repertoire (not claiming they'd sound! like
Richard's solos--except they are virtually are
identical sounding on occasions on "Rhyme" and
"1880 Or So" , and on rare occasions even on
"Call Mr. Lee", BUT not talking Richard's last
"Lee" solo here.

In fact, in the switching parts incidences *that I'm
referring to*, for "Rhyme" and "1880 Or So",  Tom's
solo is more often so close/similar to Richard's ,
that that is why it can be difficult to determine
who's playing what where when.

But even in these instances if you listen carefully
you can discern Tom's icy tone [meant as a compliment],
more tremolo, more vibrato, uses whammy bar more often
(than Richard), **more physically shaking of the neck**
(than Richard), more 'bending' the notes (related to
last).  In short, Tom's signature guitar sound.
Words totally fail me here  Jon Parles in a review
The NY Times describes what I'm unable to articulate.

Half serious: Small (big?) favor to Keith, :>)
I sent you this review NY Times (not on The Wonder
yet) recently; could you post just the single the
sentence describing Tom's tone that writer uses in
his opening paragraph? Pareles (could have been
another writer--Robert Palmer? or John Piccarella?
I'm pretty damn sure it was April 2x,  1987, and
definitely NY Times.

Separate but related:
During all of Tom's electric tours 1981- 1987 he would
let Ripp play great majority of the solos on songs when
he could easily have done more of them.
(In fact a couple of my friends unfamiliar with
Verlaine/Television's music would sometimes comment on
first attending a show that
they were more impressed with Ripp's guitar playing!)

Important: In the above,  I'm not talking about who's
a better guitarist --I think Richard's solos on e.g.,
Ain't That Nothin',  Elevation and a myriad of other
songs are probably "superior" to anything Tom would have
replaced them with. I'm just saying they ***don't always
play the exact same parts.