Re: (TV) OT:" Dead Man" / Weird / Credibility Is Shot

Leo wrote:
[starring Debra Winger whose "Big Bad Love"
shows she's a Verlaine fan]

Do you have some scoop for us Joe, or are you
basing this on the fact that being a co-producer
she must have been the main reason T.V. was
selected? (You should write her and ask her to
recommend T.V. as composer on others' (with
whom she's friends in Hollywood) films.

Not a scoop; it's the sleevenotes of the soundtrack album. Debra Winger and Arliss Howard are a couple, and it's very much their movie (director, producer and stars). DW was the executive producer of the soundtrack album and AH wrote the song notes.

For "Sleepwalkin'", AH wrote:
"Every now and then you run into the cult of the bard of Television. You meet a person who worships Tom Verlaine. Jay Rabinowitz used this tune when we were cutting Betti DeLoreo in and pretty soon we couldn't do without it, so Debra tracked him down. This song sounds like how I feel when I put on a fedora and pants with real deep pockets. Tom Verlaine just buckdances over decades of musical style."

For "Spiritual" (specially recorded for the soundtrack), AH wrote:
"We were all sitting on the mixing stage with Tom Verlaine. Kronos Quartet was on the phone from a studio in California with a work-up of their response to Tom's song... [funny incident recounted]"

DW's notes include:
"I started working on this soundtrack the day I started working on the film. It was a really busy day. I want to say thank you to some people; not just because they helped me in some tangible way..." The short list of people thanked includes Tom Verlaine.

I conclude that DW is a fan.

--JoeT