Re: (TV) bummer

In message <20051209135514.4941eaeb.jh@brainiac.com>, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> writes
Not so - those of us not under the thrall of MickeySoft haven't had our machines compromised at all.

Funny you should say that Joe, I just read this:
"Sony Music CDs infect Macs, too
"On Macintouch today, Darren Dittrich reports that Sony's DRM software targets Macs too. Digging into the "enhanced" content on the disk, he found a Start.app that, when run, shows a license agreement, then asks you for an admin password. On entering this, it installs two kernel extensions, PhoenixNub1.kext and PhoenixNub12.kext."

Note that these aren't the rootkits that infect Windows PCs -- Sony's Mac crippleware comes from a different vendor called Suncomm."

and this:
" Mac users shouldn't be smug -- Sony's audio CDs also contain an app that patches OS X's kernel with unspecified restriction-software; though Mac users have to take a few more steps before their computers are compromised"