Re: (TV) bummer

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 19:17:48 +0000
Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20051209135514.4941eaeb.jh@brainiac.com>, Joe Hartley
> <jh@brainiac.com> writes
> >Not so - those of us not under the thrall of MickeySoft haven't had our
> >machines compromised at all.
>
> Funny you should say that Joe, I just read this:
> "Sony Music CDs infect Macs, too
>
> and this:
> " Mac users shouldn't be smug -- Sony's audio CDs also contain an app
> that patches OS X's kernel with unspecified restriction-software; though
> Mac users have to take a few more steps before their computers are
> compromised"

I'm still immune...

miles:~% uname -a
Linux miles 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl

I know someone will eventually write a Linux virus, but thanks to excellent
system permissions, it's a lot harder to do real damage on a Linux box.

One of the things that made me laugh about Sony's latest DRM debacle is that
it's yet another scheme that can be thwarted simply by holding down the shift
key when putting the disk in, or by disabling auto-run.  Simply amazin'.