Re: (TV) Bob's Chronicles

Rex wrote:
--- Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Speaking of Bob and guitars, "Good as I Been to
> You", his album of
> traditional folk covers (1992), shows what a pretty
> good acoustic guitar
> player he is. I remember looking to see who the
> other guitarists on it
> were and finding that there weren't any.

Greil Marcus raves about those two Dylan acoustic traditional albums, but
even as a guitarist-- oops, I mean as an enthusiast for those types of
tunes-- I haven't been able to get that into them.

By coincidence, I've been listening to "Good As I Been To You" recently,
having paid it no attention when it came out. Great songs, great guitar, but
the voice! You just can't believe this is the same man who sang on Nashville
Skyline. He's OK doing a blues song like "Sittin' On Top Of The World", but
on a lovely song like "Hard Times", Bob seems determined to give us a hard
time.

He rehabilitated his voice to some extent on later albums. (Is that what you
meant, Robin --"his voice did change rather markedly somewhere in the 90s"?)
But his singing days were really in the 60s and 70s.

Rex, which is the other "acoustic trad album" that Greil Marcus raves about?

--JoeT