(TV) I keep a close watch on this heart of mine...

TV does a fine cover of Johnny Cash's 'I walk the Line' on two different live performances from the 1990s (one solo acoustic guitar , the other  electric with Jimmy Rip). They are both elementally rootsy and melodic ,but somewhat confusing as well. The confusion comes from Verlaines' in-line commentary, while playing the song,that is surrealistic (could we expect anything less ?) ,but borders on the absurd . The repeated 'Hello, I'm Johnny Cash...' along with the quips about book publishing and pills leaves me wondering what exactly are Mr.Verlaines' feelings about 'The Man in Black'. Is he mocking Johnny Cash ? No, I'd say. Perhaps, rather,he is mocking the 'Johnny come lately' hipsters who embraced roots music in the 90s...? Does anyone know what the relationship is ? Is this why Cash never covered a Verlaine song ?
-Russ, feeling a little like "Cindy Lou Who, no more than two...."