Re: (TV) Verlaine on WFMU archive

On 1/11/06, Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:

> One of the big
> thrills of the Light Brigade discs are Dick Hyman (under the name
> "Knuckles O'Toole") on electric organ (sounds like a Farfisa to me,
> but it could be an Acetone, or maybe something weirder).  It's
> awesome, hilarious stuff.

The same cassette compilations featured some "solo" Dick Hyman as well.
(Cue snickering Beavis voice:  "Heh heh heh heh...Dick Hyman).  There are
some really messed up organ sounds... sometimes I'm just guessing that
they're organs and not synths by the fact that they play chords, which I
don't think Moogs could do until later (of course they could be
overdubbed)...  Really a different universe of sound.  Those cassettes also
led me to Perry & Kingsley, and their really whacked-out brand of early
electronic pop, some of which I remembered as countdown music between kids'
shows on PBS  in the mid '70's... it's true, PBS used to really not have
commercials, and they would just play music and put up signs telling you how
many more minutes until "The Electric Company" came on.

-Rex