Austin / Pure Speculation by Me / RE: (TV) Mojo

>photosensitive tom has withdrawn from the sxsw
>festival (or at least is no longer on the list of
>bands who will be in town).

Robin--I feel some ofF your pain. I think your theory
(tongue in cheek) about him being photosensitive as a/the
reason why he has withdrawn from SXSW Festival, (esp.
given all those recent photos of him alone during 2005
Summer Tour). OTOH, your:
>appearance here would be too much like, oh i don't
>know, anything a normal artist with new albums to
>promote would want to do

Is probably more right than wrong.
Is his withdrawal official--any chance the person who
drew up the latest of bands goofed---I know I'm grasping
at straws).

However, [at the risk of sounding like an apologist for
T.V.], there could be other possible explanations:

1) The original deal he had with the SXSW organizers was
altered vis-a-vis money, amount of stage time allotted,
other details, etc.  --so he said screw it;

2) His intention was going to be performing *with a band*,
but *his finances* (and/or Thrill Jockey's budget--although
doubt  Thrill Jockey can afford subsides some of its
artists live appearances), would not allow him to pay Fred,
Ripp, Ficca (or Daugherty) or fill-in the blank a decent
amount of $ for playing in Austin;

3) A source told me recently that Ripp is involved in a
current Jerry Lee Lewis Tour/Tribute, which could have
adversely affected Tom's band
plans;

4) The usual 'difficult' artist stuff, or slightly paranoid stuff,
or ....

If I was a betting man, I'd say your theory (and my #4, which
are just about the same reason), have a total likelihood of 40%;
#1 from above has a 25% chance of being the reason; #2 25%;
and #3 10%.

>From a long time ago:
T.V. "I'm looking forward to playing now, 'cause the guys I'm
working with are so good, and I can afford to pay 'em something.
I didn't want to hire musicians and pay them $100 a week, which
is what I would have had to do two years ago."
"

Interviewer: ..... have you found it difficult to make the two
guitar thing work?

TV: Well, I'd add keyboards too if I could afford them, but
they're so expensive
to lug around.

PS:  Try to look at the silver lining, you won't have me sleeping
in your bath tub.