To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: (TV) originals by subscribers?

It's just a darn fine idea ! And a little different fron the usual tribute
fair. We are a diverse group of people - even if our interest in TV and
Television brought us here - Rex is right, it would be weird and good. I
don't know exactly how many of us there are who would want to participate ,
if it's a lot,then everyone can contribute one composition, otherwise,
maybe
two ? (These are just speculations) One idea though: when it's done, maybe
we could submit it to CD Baby for distribution purposes. It's just a $35
USD
cost and it would ensure that a lot of people would have the opportunity to
see/hear it . Speaking of costs - duplicating CDRs is not free , so some
nominal fee to cover costs would be appropriate. Just ideas.

I'll tell ya how I ran the show on the RH list originals compilation, but I
was pretty generous.  Basically I figured that anyone who shipped me a CDR
with their contribution was owed a copy of the final product quid pro quo
(admittedly I lost money on materials an labor on this in the end, but that was my own cross to bear). Anyone else who wanted one, I did it for trades
(and got some good stuff), but I only took orders to a certain point-- I
only wanted to do one "pressing" since the packaging was totally homemade
and hand-assembled (which made it cheaper but more time-consuming). I did
the artwork.  In fact each cover was one-of-a-kind, although I didn't draw
them all individually... ancient Chinese secret...

The material was pretty much allowed to be whatever.  Some folks sent me
very old recordings (from when they were more active musically). Some wrote
and recorded brand new stuff.  I basically promised that everyone who
submitted something would land a track on the CD, and stuck to that. There
were about 15 artists, so some people got more than one track on there,
especially those who submitted really diverse material, or "solo" and "band"
tracks or whatever.  And then of course I had to sequence that bitch.
Wheeeee!

I also solicited bio information for all the "liner notes" and I know that,
if nothing else, a lot of the artists got some more hits and downloads on
their websites as the contributors checked each other out.

There are probably more professional graphics people on the list, but I'd
volunteer to do cover art.  In fact I recently put Tom in the children's
book I'm illustrating. Well, nobody would know it... but on page 45 there's a box of toy people, and there's a skinny guy with a beret and a Jazzmaster
in the lower right corner (not smoking, though... can't be a bad influence
on the kiddies.

The very very coolest thing would be to press the thing on vinyl. Because I
bet that's a common dream of musicians on this list that's almost surely
never going to happen again... having your music on vinyl.  Red vinyl.
Okay, I'll shut up now.

-Rex