Re: Timeline: The Fat-Elvis Years / RE: (TV) Attn Ms Secret X (& Othe rs)

You are confusing you, Leo. Surely Tom was with Jutta in the early 90s, if not before.

What's the evidence for that? I got the impression she must have split up
with him before he made Cover (1984), when he stopped smoking for a while.

What you just wrote is confusing.  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what
you're saying, but if he had stopped smoking for a while she would've been
LESS likely to have broken up --right?

Yes, but SecretX never gave any indication that Tom ceased smoking while she was with him, and if she had had such an effect on him I think she would have said something about it. Similarly, she would probably have said something about him *resuming* smoking. But no, it seemed that Tom was always smoking while they were together and it eventually became too much for her. Ergo, they split up before 1984, and "Lindi-Lu" refers directly to that split, with Tom adopting the hillbilly persona, as SecretX-Lindi would have us think.

Surely?

All the other things you wrote are undisputed, except for how he actually quit smoking. Tom spoke about it in that Hot Press 1984 interview I posted on 13 June 2003, with no reference to any girlfriend:

"By now, with our interview well developed, Tom Verlaine's early hesitancy has long since vanished and he's revealed as a fluent, witty and stimulating conversationalist. Talk ranges over a variety of subjects including pre-Christian Irish poetry (a particular interest of his), the writings of Flann O'Brien and Colin Wilson, and hypnosis -- a subject about which Tom is eager to learn more, since he was cured through hypnosis of his nicotine addiction."

I thought I'd throw in that bit because the writer Flann O'Brien is in the news again. See www.guardian.co.uk/Books/news/articles/0,,1716690,00.html

And, well, because I grew up with Flann O'Brien living around the corner, and I used to see him staggering up the road, drunk. But he was a great writer.

--JoeT