Re: (TV) woohoo!

On 3/14/06, Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <44172842.000001.03072@YOUR-4ECD8HHOVM>, Glenn Cooper
> <glenncooper@austarnet.com.au> writes
> >Hmm. I didn't realise it wasn't a legit copy.
>
> It's legit in that it's probably the real thing and not a CDR copy but
> will be a pre-release for reviewing purposes/promo copy and shouldn't be
> up for sale until after the official release. And of course no one paid
> for it so TV gets nothing. Of course, if they kept it until after April
> 25 no one would buy it...

Well, I've picked up quite a few used promo discs past their street date at
record stores.  It's a grey area: there are certainly artists who eventually
got some of my money but wouldn't have had I not decided to give their
previous record a whirl for $5 in the used bin.

So are we opposed to second-hand sales of records only before their street
dates?  Is it more reprehensible to do it online than in a brick & mortar
store?  (I ask the latter question because the online sale DOES seem
sleazier, but I can't quantify why... maybe because there seems to be more
effort involved in creating an online auction than throwing a CD into a "for
sale" bin...)

-Rex