Re: (TV) Size / Harp Magazine / my big hands (fall through the cracks) > tom / lou

About the singing, Robin put my thoughts into words:

 lou can't sing at all now, if he ever could.
pretty horrible.  tom's maybe in a bit better shape.
dylan's voice has thoroughly deteriorated, but he
makes it work somehow (oh yeah, creative genius!).
and patti smith has become a pretty decent singer,

I've only heard a couple of the new songs, and I like them, but I notice the lack of clarity and forthrightness in Tom's voice. No doubt that's partly his mood and the way he's feeling, but I can't help thinking that he's given up trying to sing like he used to.

had me wondering if tom's vocal limitations have
played a part in his lack of vocal output until this
month.  or maybe he doesn't think of it that way at
all.  i just can't help but think he may find singing
challenging.

I think you're right, Robin. Even if you compare his speaking voice on the recent radio show (when he was playing the cheesy old records) with his voice on that fascinating NPR interview (when he talked about Neil Young -- 1998, was it?) you notice a deterioration, or he was at least being a bit skittish in the later one. Or is it lack of interview practice?

"You complain of my diction." Yes, Tom, but it was nothing, really nothing.

I'm listening again to Flash Light and The Wonder and his voice is at its best there, clear diction, expressive singing (and some real singing!). On the Television 1992 album the lyrics were more in the background and Tom's voice seemed to be weaker (though still fine). I think it has to be said that on songs like "One Time At Sundown", "Five Hours From Calais", "Pillow" and others, the vocals are superb.

Of course I also notice, once again, the guitars, and I wonder -- will Tom ever play like that again? Take "At 4 a.m."; it's a fine song all-round, but Tom's lead guitar has the manual dexterity and virtuosity of Richard Lloyd at his best, along with a matchless sensibility.

So, really, I can't complain. Tom can do whatever he likes, and should...

--JoeT

"Despair young and never look back." -- Beckett