Re: (TV) Size / Harp Magazine / my big hands (fall through the cracks) > tom / lou

On 4/13/06, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> the new vocal album actually had me thinking of tom
> along w/ lou, dylan and ps in terms of folks w/
> non-traditionally-gifted voices and how they have
> aged.  lou can't sing at all now, if he ever could.
> pretty horrible.

He could, off and on (I don't know if he just took more care on some records
than others), but you are right, he's sounded beyond awful for years now.

> dylan's voice has thoroughly deteriorated, but he
> makes it work somehow (oh yeah, creative genius!).

Or something!   But yes again.

> and patti smith has become a pretty decent singer,
> imo.

Agreed again.  Surprisingly she's become more technically proficient and
less melodramatic at the same time-- pretty rare!

> had me wondering if tom's vocal limitations have
> played a part in his lack of vocal output until this
> month.  or maybe he doesn't think of it that way at
> all.  i just can't help but think he may find singing
> challenging.

I think he finds lyrics hard, too, which is interesting; I like his lyrics
lots and lots and lots, while others find them negligible placeholders.

last night i saw two gallants, cold war kids opening,
> and thought, the way those guys are yelling, they've
> gotta be shortening their shelf life.

Nonetheless there's another new Mission of Burma record on the way... they
yelled a lot twenty-some years ago, too.

-Rex