Re: (TV) Pitchforkmedia reviews Verlaine (mixed)

Perhaps it was a bit of an overreaction - maybe - but there are things with that review I do not agree with, that I think are qualitatively wrong. Let me list the ways:

1. Unfair to compare Tom with the many artists he's influenced over the years. Tom is Tom, he's not trying to be Luna. 2. The reviewer states "the chemistry is not there" but he does not explain why he feels this way. Billy Ficca and the other mentioned musicians have been playing with Tom for a long time. These folks are seasoned professionals . The reviewer needs to back up his opinions with something. 3. The reviewer dismisses the instrumental album out of hand. Granted the two records are likely to be pretty different . Perhaps the reviewer was the wrong person to review that particular record seeing that it's obviously not his kind of music. I will also grant that Tom's instrumental music divides us up here on the list into camps pro and con. 5. "Dim and winking" ? This person doesn't appreciate Verlaine. Appreciate in the sense that he has any experience listening to Tom's work other than the first two Television records and maybe his first solo record. It's so hack to compare what he's doing now with what he did 30 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love freedom of the press. I will defend to the death for that right - we might all have to in the not too distant future...but leave it to Pitchfork to assign someone with no real understanding to review someone like Verlaine, who, by virtue of his genius ( why after all do we subscribe to this list if we do not believe that ?) deserves better treatment. Maybe I'm with TV when he says 'the press, they only deserve lies' ;-) . Also, the little that I've heard of the two records, I *do* think they deserve a wide hearing, I *do* think this is a seismic scale event ! Okay, I'm off my soap box. And I'm glad we can all disagree from time to time - even with reviewers.
- Russ

Joe Thornton wrote:
Have to agree with Keith here.

Well, to be honest, I didn't think it was _that_ unfair.

But someone with only glancing or informal familiarity with TVs music is going to think twice about purchasing these records if they read the review. I think it's shameful.

But that would mean that reviewers should tell everyone to buy everything because somebody, somewhere, thinks it's brilliant.

Russ, I think you overreacted...

--JoeT