Re: (TV) greg reviews Joanna Newsome

I was waiting for the Ann Frank Dancers to come popping out any second.

In short: I concur.

M.

grntg <grntg@yahoo.com> wrote: Sprout and Bean video - good thing I'm only slightly
drunk otherwise all that spinning would lead to
disastourous consequences for yours truly.  Not bad
harp playing but that voice is absoutly stunning -
stunningly bad!  The drawerings (yes drawerings) that
come to life remind me of Simon and the Land of Chalk
Drawings, I feel this is a symbollic reference to her
voice, a chalk board screeching quality.

Anyways, I digress...the chalk bird lands on a tree
and we skip to outside, with Joanna lying in some
forestry, then SCREECH  - harmonized vocals, the pain,
oh the pain MAKE IT STOP!  Harmonies usually make
things sound better, but not Joanna, it's almost
horror movieish.  I think they should use her for the
themesong for SAW IV.

Ouch!  Well there are several items in the brush and
I'm sure they are symbollic of something, but let's
get serious for a moment.

After the age of, say 35, symbollism is rather stupid.
 It's merely trying to impress upon the world one's
personal impression that they are clever when they
really have difficulty just saying what they really
want to say.  Joanna looks to be 14 years of age so
symbollism is okay in her case.

well, back in the classroom with the land of chalk
drawerings, I'm trying to discern the words but feel
distracted by the impeding thoughts of how hard it
must be to tune a harp, especially when one tours with
it through climate changes.  Does Joanna take a bus or
van on tour?  I'm  guessing a Honda car with a big
trunk.  She looks like a Honda person but I really do
not know alot about cars.

Plink plink plink, I do not really like her dress, to
formal, retro ala 1897.  It probably has that "like
someones Grandma" smell to it.  You know, a bit
lavender like with a slight hint of baking and urine.
Go do some volunteer work in a nursing home you
elitisits and you'll see what I mean.

Oh Oh!  "Danger danger" and then a weird skull!
Danger Danger?  Is this an ode to Steve Irwin?  I
liked Steve Irwin.  Symbollism really pisses me off
sometimes, I'm thinking "cool, this about Steve Irwin"
then someone will say "no it's not, it's about the
fraility of life and how it can be two-dimensional yet
beautiful at the same time, depth is a perception."
"Depth is a perception!" I would scoff, "a perception
of what, and did you say death or depth?"  "Depth, but
there is a death theme that augers through as we are
in a time of renewal and decay, we become smartwer and
more experienced with life but our bodies falter a
little more each day as we will eventually spiral down
back into the basic building blocks of life."
"Hmmph," I would hmmph, "you are saying we are
essentially recyclying depots for nature, merely a
method to build and breakdown basic chemical
elements?"  You would fold your arms and give me that
sideways look that only you can give me, "If you want
it to be about Steve, you can.  It's okay."  Then I,
feeling condescended to like a berated child, would
slink off into the abyss of my soul, pondering the
futility of all of my attempts ot understand anything
precious.

THERE! Joanna is in the chalk board then it comes to
life! Just like Simon.  The new chalk drawing
adventures of Simon suck btw.

More triple harmonies, "should we go outside" and
suddenly there are three Joanna's.  This is cutting
edge man, cutting edge if it was 1982.

Okay, let's stop for a moment.  Not to pick on Joanna
but for the most part, music lyrics are stupid.  Say
this out loud in a speaking voice, "shoud we go
outside, should we break some bread?"  Mind you it is
eons better than say "bop skinny bop" (which is
symbollic of, ah forget it), or "Oh you make my motor
run, make my motor run MY Joanna (oops, Freudian
slip)why can't Joanna just say, "Hey, let's go on a
picnic", the use of "should we" is also passive,
Joanna needs to be more assertive "Let's go outside
and have a picnic."

Okay, the dress got way better with those boots!  Now
is that a Freudian thought or more from the Jungian
perspective.  Jung, like Max Weber, never received
enough credo in his field.  Weber had far more
predictive qualities about the stae of modern world
and far more applications from his theory then Marx
and Engells (Engells, did he really contribute
anything besides a few $) and Durkheim.  The
Beurocracy is a stalwart theory that is value free
from the perspective of the scientist, to which
sociology purports to be, yet Weber is a paragraph
whereas Marx and Durk get chapters in intro Soc.  Marx
and Durkheim appeal to the left and right whereas
Weber is more of a Liberal, sort of like Adult
Alternative music.  Not very exciting really.

A paper boat with a plant floating past a cows skull
in a makeshift stream, then the boat spins.  I'm sure
that means something, something important.  Rounding
the cape was a dangerous endeavor but I do not feel
this is taking on that significance.  Paper boat with
a seedling plant in it goes spinning past a cows
skull, then back to the chalk board - chalk drawings,
beautiful and intricate and can be erased, well slap
my suspenders!  It's not about Steve Irwin, it's about
the fraility and finality of life, Frailityis the
seedling spinning - not firmly planted, cow skull -
life is finite, chalk board drawings - once erased
disappear from time for eternity, everything will
eventaully disappear as our physical being will be
eroded away to nothingness and all of our hopes and
dreams will be wiped from time as we disappear from
this earth, physically and metaphysically.

What a downer!

Where's that Poison record? "Bop skinny bop bop!"  Now
that's fun stuff and there's nothing wrong with having
fun!  Sometimes you just need to let yourself go,
thats what the masses do.