Re: Subject: (TV) greg reviews Joanna Newsome

Hi Greg,

>Anyways daddy, my opinion on The Cardiacs? They sound
>like a merry go round on acid.
  That's actually a pretty good description....

  >If you want an honest
>response, I hate them and find them to be a bad
>version of Jazz Butcher.
  Hooray! Not too familiar with this Butcher of Jazz, I seem to remember he was Robyn Hitchcock-like; and had a tune called 'Southern Mark Smith'. Anyway Thanks at least for having a look.

>And finally, if you are my father, (i.e. the 'son'
>reference) could you send some money?

  Heh, go out back and cut yourself a switch!

  Re: all the general talk about media-hype - seems like viral marketing, market synergy, whatever they call it - has gotten so pervasive and sophisticated these days. Switch on any electrical appliance and there's a news story about a discussion about an ad for 'Borat' and also 'Ys' plus the fifty five other things they're flogging this week; everything is a fucking ad...it's getting so that all info you absorb has to be taken with a grain of salt, and the salt starts to pile up after a while!
  I can see why JN drives some people around the bend, but I also think there's more to her than some of you give her credit for.
  In another light, 'Gruesome' Newsom's music reminds me of Tom Waits' stuff - they both take music and language from some old imagined America and twist it around to their own ends, and invent their own vision out of it. And they both have strange sort of unnatural voices which serve those ends perfectly.
  On that note, I end my defence of JN; she's not for everyone; quality will out as they say.

  It's good we're discussing something here, for a change, instead of just posting links to dull punk rock reenactment bands on the youtube !