Re: Smith/ RE: (TV) capturing screenshots/ Digitalizing Vinyl & Analogue tapes

In message <200703211850.l2LIoUSi019564@zappa.brainiac.com>, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> writes
1. Which connection is superior: to headphone jack or to 'audio out' plugs?

2. For 'audio out' plug connection won't I need a 'Y' cable connection since PC-'end' just has one input port? (2a. But won't that cause converted file to be mono?)

1) I'm passing on advice given to me by Phil and Steve L. back when I started transferring vinyl to the PC: *always* connect the Tape Out (Play) channels on the amplifier to the sound card input, whether playing back from tape or turntable and take the signal from those. (The phono/turntable input will lead through a pre-amp so if you then put that into the sound card you will get distortion to the signal, as I understand it)

2) You can get a standard cable with two phono plugs on one end and the small stereo plug on the other for the input port on the sound card.