Re: (TV) Lloyd's letter

In message <MBBBLIABPOGIGEEHEDHFMENMHFAA.earcandy_archive@comcast.net>, earcandy_archive <earcandy_archive@comcast.net> writes
Can you imagine how many guitar bands in the '80's & beyond used Television as its starting point? How many of those Paisley Pop LA bands (True West being an excellent example) and those geetar 'n grits bands out of Raleigh/Atlanta/Jackson (the Windbreakers being a great example) would have ever existed without Television coming before them?

Not to mention half the bands in the UK who were woken up and formed by Little Johnny Jewel:

"It's amazing, I go out with other people on tour and it never fails that someone tells me, "I heard you when I was 13 and you changed my life."
Fred Smith, Musician Magazine September 1992.

Tom has just put out more albums and has toured worldwide more often so that is part of why he is talked about more often on the list.

Yeah, but we have all (certainly initially) accepted Tom V. as the *face/voice of Television*. But who here wouldn't have preferred a fourth Television album to Songs and Other Things and Around?

I'm reminded of another quote from Fred:

"One thing that happened when we got together at the end of b90 and jammed, more than Tom or Richardbs guitar being there, was Billybs hi-hat. The way he plays his hi-hat is unlike anything else. One day theybll discover the Television sound is Billbs hi-hat playing. The rest is superfluous."
Fred Smith, Musician Magazine September 1992

Also, Tom is just a lot more odd and fans trying to figure him out.

And accepted at face value many of the ridiculous, arrogant, seemingly-meaningless things he's said in interviews. Might be frustrating to be an integral part of a band and have the "leader" say things (to the press) like, "The press doesn't deserve anything but lies."

And a final quote:

"Some bands don't ever get along and they do fine. Some relationships are built where there's an incredible tension. [Television is a] musical experience of great strength, but that doesn't mean you all have to play poker on Friday night."
Richard Lloyd, The Hartford Courant February 2001

And that's all from me.