Re: (TV) a friend responds

On 5/20/07, BlackMonk <BlackMonk@email.msn.com> wrote:

> - did I ask tom verlaine for some money
> > back when he interrupted a television gig to talk about buying a belt
> for
> > his trousers ? - no, that is his priveledge as an artist and a consumer
> of
> > leather goods to discuss such a thing
> >

> Did he say he wanted complete silence while he talked about his belt or he
> wouldn't play?

There wouldn't be any point... everyone would be too busy tuning their
guitars, including Tom, to expect silence of any kind.

We've all been to shows and felt ripped off for whatever reason, but I think
you can only really complain that you've been "wronged" as a gig-goer if
something is specifically promised and not delivered.  I don't think that
Richard's doing anything beyond the normal bounds of performance in that
sense... he was supposed to play a show and did.  At the same time, if his
behavior during the show affects anyone's enjoyment of the show, there's no
reason for them not to call him out on-- that's just someone stating their
opinion that it was "a bad gig because (x)", an opinion that at least gives
other people an idea of what to expect at a show when deciding whether or
not to go.  God bless the internet for that.

By the way, I certainly wasn't asking anyone personally connected with Bill
or Fred to repeat anything said to them in confidence... I just would really
like to know, or to have been a fly on the wall or whatever.  But Fred and
Billy don't blog like Richard, and if Tom does, it's probably under five or
six aliases.  The whole situation is so unusual, and has to do with my
favorite band, so it's hard not to be curious, isn't it?

-Rex