Re: (TV) So, this Summerstage show...

It wasn't Television, by a long shot, but it was a pretty good Verlaine show, with the added miracle ingredient of Ficca-zation. I missed Richard, his solos and his energy and the competitive edge he brings to it. (Ripp didn't even try to fill that slot, was an able but gray presence throughout.) No coincidence, Tom was smiling and gregarious, relatively speaking. Of course, he could have been reacting to the crowd, which was the biggest I've ever seen for a Television show (or a Verlaine show, for that matter). It was also really young, fairly knowledgable, and pumped. (How young? A girl I was standing next to said she'd seen Richard in his recent Rant Across America tour and "got a good college essay out of it").

All that love would put me in a good mood, too, and some of the solos were downright playful. Persia was excellent. I had to leave as MM was starting, unfortunately, but walked SLOWLY toward Columbus Circle, hearing the final progression fade out of earshot. I could tell it was over when a huge roar went up from the crowd.