Re: (TV) So, this Summerstage show...

On 6/18/07, Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyone who was there - was it anything like a Television gig or was it
> really the Tom Verlaine Band with Billy Ficca?
>
> Not putting Jimmy Rip down at all but Television _is_ more than Billy,
> Fred and Tom with another guitarist...

By that same token, Rip is more than "another guitarist", having
collaborated with Tom for around 30 years on some classic records
(generally, with Tom's records, the more Rip, the better the album, and
Dreamtime is almost as good as MM to me), and I do think that in recent
years Rip has been a better complement to Television.  The personal and
musical chemistries seem to follow the same lines.

I wonder if Rip underplayed a bit, out of respect for Richard... at least on
the classics... his good wishes to RL indicate a certain understanding of
the seriousness of the proceedings.  One thing I really admire about Rip is
that, if you look at his discography, he could choose to spend his time as a
sideman on any number of more glamorous gig, but every time Tom hits the
road, there he is.

The "last" Television gig, maybe... or does it establish a precedent for
more Lloyd-less shows?  I'm conflicted about the use of the name Television,
but this lineup decides to call itself Television (and they do have
Richard's blessing), I won't complain much.  If that gets "Persia" and the
other new stuff on an official record with Billy playing (I figure Fred's a
lock either way), I will be able to live with that.

It will be interesting to hear RL's comments, even if they're less than
positive... if for not other reason that it'lll mean he's feeling better!

-Rex