Re: The Dream's Dream / Arty Lyrics a Put-off? / RE: (TV) Anyone else hear a lot of Television in this?

On 8/27/07, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> \
> "Mr. Verlaine's  lyrics generally don't come across with any clarity in
> concert, and that was the case on Sunday. On record, with a lyric sheet,
> they're clear, and have put off some people with their artiness. This
> writer
> finds them a true reflection of Mr. Verlaine's character and interesting
> in
> themselves, but there can be no question that the band's rewards are
> primarily musical"

Feh.

Maybe I'm *the* only one, but I think Tom's a world-class lyricist.  If he
wrote for other artists, I'd be totally there-- even if it was an artist I
generally don't like.  He comes up with startlingly original stuff
sometimes... the  "quote / unquote" thing alone, I wish to hell I'd come up
with something like that.  I cite Tom as a songwriting influence... dunno
how smart that is, but I do.

I wouldn't say "The Dream's Dream" is his finest lyric ever, but I admire
its economy.  The song wouldn't be nearly as good as an instrumental.

-Rex