Re: (TV) A Television album brewing?

I hear you, though I have to say I was mighty impressed at last
summer's Central Park show.  Lloyd's not being there certainly
required/inspired Verlaine to step up as he would not otherwise have.
One can argue whether or not it was Television, but the result sure
sounded glorious to my ears.

I have a DVD of a fine Television performance in Brazil (an MTV
broadcast sometime this decade, can't quite recall the date) wherein
Lloyd really steps up in the manner you describe, with Verlaine
contributing perhaps only 20% of the total number of solo minutes, if
that.  It didn't seem like a competitive thing; it looked as though
Verlaine was deliberately relinquishing the spotlight whenever it
lingered on him for more than a minute, so that Richard could shine.
There can be any number of reasons for this, including Verlaine having
a hand injury or otherwise not feeling up to it;  but the lopsidedness
of it all was so striking it made me wonder whether there was explicit
arrangement regarding the amount of solo time Richard would have.   As
good as show as it was -- and it was very good -- it is difficult for
any show to rise to greatness if the audience perceives the frontman
is for whatever reason not giving it his all.

If that was to be the form of Television performances in the future,
then I would rather have Verlaine and Lloyd in separate bands, playing
unfettered and to their respective potentials, as each is simply too
good to waste.  The Central Park show is to me evidence that Verlaine
still has it.  I would imagine the Sufi Monkey shows similarly
showcase Lloyd's astonishing potential.

-A