Re: (TV) In search of the great American band

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 05:53:11 -0800 (PST)
> Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >  If Patti Smith looked like Debbie Harry, her career would look very
> > different, too.
>
> You're likely right, Phil, but having seen them both, and having felt
> the sheer sensuality of Patti versus the coke-whore detachment of Debbie,
> there's no question about whom I'd rather...!

I'm not a slavish Blondie fan, but I like them fine.  But if one's primary
beef against them is a musical career predicated on good female looks and a
lack of singular vocal talent alone, then it should acknowledged that the
last thirty-some years have offered up innumerable, and far more egregious,
examples of the same.  I mean, hell, Britney Spears has a new record, and my
newspaper actually seems to consider that a big deal.

And at the same time, if vocal ability was a guarantee of musical greatness,
does that mean that being on American Idol certifies artists as compelling?

Or are we just saying that it's too bad that Verlaine either isn't a hot
chick or didn't hire one to front Television?  I'm not sure I can hop on
that boat...

-Rex