Re: (TV) John Byrne dead at 61

"Elvis to Eminem: quantifying the price of fame through early
mortality of European and North American rock and pop stars"  J
Epidemiol Community Health 2007;61:896901. doi:
10.1136/jech.2007.059915

Abstract:

Objective: This study measures survival rates of famous musicians (n =
1064) from their point of fame and compares them to matched general
populations in North America and Europe.

Design: We describe and utilise a novel actuarial survival methodology
which allows quantification of excess post-fame mortality in pop
stars.

Participants: Individuals from North America and Europe performing on
any album in the All-Time Top 1000 albums from the music genres rock,
punk, rap, R&B, electronica and new age.

Results: From 3 to 25 years post fame, both North American and
European pop stars experience significantly higher mortality (more
than 1.7 times) than demographically matched populations in the USA
and UK, respectively. After 25 years of fame, relative mortality in
European (but not North American) pop stars begins to return to
population levels. Five-year post-fame survival rates suggest
differential mortality between stars and general populations was
greater in those reaching fame before 1980.

Conclusion: Pop stars can suffer high levels of stress in environments
where alcohol and drugs are widely available, leading to
health-damaging risk behaviour. However, their behaviour can also
influence would-be stars and devoted fans. Collaborations between
health and music industries should focus on improving both pop star
health and their image as role models to wider populations.

http://jech.bmj.com/preprint/bellis.pdf