Re: (TV) Heard ole Neil put us down

Scott, Scott, Scott, <woefully shakes head>
 My poet wife will kill me for this but, who listens to lyrics anyway? Sure,
some people will say Neil is almost up there with Bob Dylan... but as far as
lyrics go I'll take Richard Thompson over Neil just about any day. But as a
musician, and a guitar player, I have to say unequivocally, Neil Young is
the best thing that ever came out of Canada! And whether they teach
Meso-American history or not in Canada, consider his half baked history in
Cortez to be a product of 70s love/peace stuff. Everyone who has been paying
attention knows that the native peoples of North and Meso America made as
much war as any European, and they were pretty good with a sacrifical knife
to boot! The thing is, Cortez the Killer is probably the greatest song
*musicially* that Neil has ever recorded. You need to rush out and get:
Zuma, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, On the Beach, and Tonights the Night.
Regardless of the lyrics , which most people will agree are great, the
music, the shear rockism, is staggering! I originally was attracted to
Television, the first song I ever heard by the them, The Fire, becuase it
reminded me of Neil Young's guitar! The vibrato of Verlaine's guitar is
remarkably similar! And who wails on one note? Not just Young, but Verlaine!
-Russ