Re: (TV) Heard ole Neil put us down

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Russ <russvr@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I originally was attracted to
> Television, the first song I ever heard by the them, The Fire, becuase it
> reminded me of Neil Young's guitar!

I originally got into Neil via "Cortez"... because it sounded like
Television!

I was on a really long bus ride listening to "Decade" on a cassette dub a
friend had given me.  I was falling asleep when "Cortez" came one and I
really felt like it was washing me away... in a good way... and I understood
it to be a sort of rootsy, sleepy, unvarnished cousin of "Marquee Moon".
 'Twas love.

Great lyrics.  Totally impressionistic.  The last two lines bring it home.
 It's of a piece with "Pocohantas", which may be Neil's best lyric of all.
 Pure win.

-Rex