Re: Beck / RE: (TV) Richard Lloyd interview re. Hendrix

How many Elvis impersonators were given vocal lessons by "the King"?

IMO, Mr. Velvert's music is competently played, but hardly original.

I mean, he sounds a lot like Hendrix (even the vocals!) but, like, so
what?  Hendrix impersonators were passe before Robin Trower cut his
first record.  It's like getting all worked up about an Elvis
impersonator, or that guy who imitates Morrison in the New Doors.

My feeling is, if you intend to slavishly copy someone else's style,
just go ahead and call yourself a tribute / cover band and be done
with it.  Won't make as much money (or indeed any at all), but doing
anything less smacks of riding on someone else's coattails.
Concentrate on putting something original out there, and standing by
it, and fighting for it. That's what makes it worth it.

-A

"proudly in the red since 2007"

amps do furnish a room - Television tribute
http://www.youtube.com/user/ampsdofurnisharoom

boat burning - live hard ambience
http://www.myspace.com/boatburning