Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Joe Thornton <joe.thornton@gmx.net> wrote:

> Maybe we can achieve a surprisingly large measure of consensus here!
> I'd go for:
>
> Verlaine
> Fripp
> Hendrix
> Neil Young
>
> And I'd have to put Richard Lloyd ahead of most of the others. While I love
> Richard Thompson, he never strikes me as so *distinctive*.

He does me... I definitely classify a lot of guitar playing as
"Thompson-esque".

Howzabout J Mascis?
Lou Reed (when he can be bothered)?
Would you count Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo, or are they too inseparable
in sound to be considered "distinctive" on their own?

I almost never hear the Grateful Dead, but I do like Garcia's playing when I
hear it.  It probably helpts that I don't know many Deadheads and so don't
suffer from overexposure.

There's a whole host of guys beloved for their chops who doubtless do have
very distinctive sounds, but I just can't hear it as it all strikes me as
samey and dull (see: almost anyone who's been on the cover of those guitar
magazines in the grocery stores since the mid-eighties)...

-Rex