Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM, tom <thomas@bigdayphoto.com> wrote:

> I'll throw Johnny Marr in there.

I've never quite gotten that one.  Marr seemed to be a guy who could play
all kinds of different stuff from the get-go.  There was a sort of a Smiths
"sound", but for the most part it always struck me as a whole bunch of
different tonalities that fell under the umbra of "guitar pop", but more
diverse than, say, R.E.M, Husker Du, the Church, the Bunnymen, or even
somebody like the dB's or the Feelies.  Like I said, I can recognize Pete
Buck on other people's records; Marr not so much.  He's more versatile,
which is kind of the opposite of distinctive (although it's certainly not
bad).

Of course, I like Morrissey a lot less than I like the singers in any of the
other bands I've just mentioned, so that probably has something to do with
it.

On the less-is-more front, though... how can you not love Joey Santiago?

-Rex