Re: (TV) Richard Loyd: Marquee Moon" (1977) is the only Television album, as far as I'm concerned, because it's the only record that faces outwards, to the audience.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:

> He goes on to say: "Although [Tom Verlaine] made a lot of solo records, if
> you
> listen to them, they all sound like they have drum machines on them.
> They're all involuted."

He's partially right: several of them sound like they have drum machines on
them.  But not all of them.

And I think he's sort of right about MM being the only TV album that
"acknowledges the audience", but I don't necessarily think that's a bad
thing.  And it may well only be true of MM because it was composed of
material played live for years.  The audience was how they got to be able to
make that record.  Tom was almost certainly tilting toward involution even
then.

And yeah, "Tilting Toward Involution" would be a pretty good album title,
and I have enough of them stored up to say you can have it... first come,
first serve.

-Rex