Re: (TV) #9 in "Best Debuts" list

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Murray Ramone <murrayramone@hotmail.com>wrote:

> for me I've always thought they peaked at flip your wig - but that was the
> first one I heard, not that long before I saw them at potterow but I'm
> pretty
> sure that whatever was the first one that I heard (with the probable
> exception
> of everything falls apart) would be the 'defining' one for me because
> they've
> all got something amazing going on

"Flip" is my favorite, and I'd roughly say that, as with the Replacements,
the real goldmine is the last two indie records and the major label debut.
Lots of people argue that "Zen Arcade" is the hands-down winner (it's not)
and that "Warehouse" is a real letdown (it's not).

I find it absolutely impossible to communicate the awesomeness of the
Huskers to anyone who wasn't there.  That "hard pop indie sound" was made so
slick and big by yr Foo Fighters and yr Green Day that if that's what you're
used to, the production on the Huskers records sounds thin, kind of not even
loud.  I don't hear it that way-- it's still a blaring wall of awesome to
me-- but I guess youngsters do.  The best I can do is tell them to listen to
Sugar and pretend Husker Du was produced that way.  (Same goes for Mission
of Burma, really: kids can't hear these records any more.  Almost
literally.)

-Rex