Re: (TV) Counterbalance: "Marquee Moon"

On 20/03/2011 00:24, Leo Casey wrote:
To be slightly more precise:  T.V.  once said in an interview that the intro
guitar part (and which repeats thereafter) of the song 'Marquee Moon' is the
horn part of the James Brown song 'I Feel Good'

even more precisely ;-) :

From International Musician and Recording World, September 1980:

"Interestingly, Verlaine reveals some unexpected roots for other guitar bits on the album. While the stuttering riffs on 'Marquee Moon' may seem wholly original, Tom claims it was reggae rhythms inverted with a guitar version of the horn part of James Brown's 'I Feel Good' layered on top."

http://www.thewonder.co.uk/imr.htm

I thought the ideas and writing in "Counterbalance: Marquee Moon" were ludicrous.

I esp. thought the metric that an album has to be commercially sucessful before it can
be considered great a real howler.
Agree with you there, Leo.